Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My back is finally healed

What a wake up call for me.  I have never really had any back issues to speak of in my life until now.  Since before Thanksgiving I have been dealing with lower back pain.  Doctors, Oral anti-inflamatories, No Running, and a lot of grumpiness has finally came to an end.

Last Tuesday, I woke up, back pain as normal, and was getting dressed for a breakfast meeting.  I bend over to get my shoes and all of a sudden I feel a pop and my left leg goes limp.  I can't stand up, I can't straighten up and I am laying on the floor.  I cancel my meeting and can do nothing but literally crawl on my stomach back to bed.  To say I was sickened would be an understatment.  The Dr. that is seeing me doesn't get back in the country for another week and I literally can not walk.  I am hoping laying down would help so I tried to sleep.  Of course, I was in too much pain to sleep so at 8:00am I call the Chiropractor that I have been to a couple of times, Dr. Dykeman in Rosewood Heights.  I have known him for a long time and Rene goes to see him periodically.  They were able to get me in, assuming of course, I could get myself there. 

It takes me what felt like 20 minutes to get out of bed and then I still couldn't walk.  I called Rene and she had to come home, get me dressed, and help me to the car.  The only thing I could think was that Ironman Coeur d'Alene is over for me and I actually said that to Rene.  With IMCdA in 20 weeks I am getting really nervous at this point. 

I get in to see Dr. D and explain history.  After confirming, reconfirming and reconfirming again that there is no disc issues (thanks MRI) he puts me on the table.  Then he proceeds to crawl, literally crawl on the table with me.  An arm through my legs, a hand on my shoulder and with one quick motion I hear and feel what sounds like a shot gun go off in my hips.  I literally let out a "Son Of A B$%#ch", quickly realizing that I just yelled in the middle of a busy office I apologized and then realized I had almost instant relief.  He told me to stand up and I could.  I could walk again.  He then proclaims what I have been dealing with this entire time was my SI Joint.  It has been off and on all the way back to IronMan Arizona in 2010 and I never realized it.  Everyday since I have gone back to him for an adjustment with each one getting less and less until I can actually do it myself.

Sunday was the first time I would even attempt to workout last week with a semi-easy 1.5 hour bike ride on the trainer.  I was still feeling good so I quickly transitioned to the treadmill for my first run in over a month.  My goal was to get 15 pain free minutes in.  50 minutes later running at this time (8.5 min/mile) I thought it was time to stop.  Still - ZERO pain. 

Had a great weekend with KGB having a great basketball game and Dance competition rehearsal and NBB having a great Upward basektball game as well.  He is fighting a weird cold right now (slept through recess yesterday) but other than it it is a great Valentines Day!

More to come but I should have a full week of training this week with hopefully no issues.

Until then, have a great week - T-Minus 19 weeks to IMCdA

Tracy

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got it figured out. Dr. D is my back hero, too!!!

    ReplyDelete