Friday, April 9, 2010

All systems GO St. Louis

Today is Friday and the GO St. Louis 1/2 marathon is this weekend. My wife was telling me that there are 16,000 people running in it so it will be packed. I had a short 35 minute run (this is a recovery week) and not to be too graphic but I last night I had "gastro intestinal distress" and needless to say the shirt that I left with didn't make it home. "Taking care of business" while out for a run is horrible, however under the cover of night makes it okay I guess. Anyway, sorry for my gross diversion but as a runner / triathlete there are times we have to deal with things and last night was one of those times.

With the 1/2 Marathon this weekend I have no idea what to expect. I will be running the farthest distance that I have ran since SOMA 1/2 Ironman last year. I have had 1 - 1.5 hour run since then and I don't know what to expect. I will be running in my barefoot running shoes (Vibram's) and to be honest I have no idea how my legs / feet will hold up over that kind of distance. In addition, I want to push it this weekend and collect some good data that my coach and I can analyze for my level of fitnesss this time of year in addition to doing some race predictions for my full IM.

However, I try not to enter a race without some goal. Goals assume there are no physical breakdowns that I don't expect but could happen with all of the variables. If I finish and my time reflects fitness my goal would be to finish sub 1:55 (just south of a 9:00min/mile pace. My over reaching goal would be sub 1;50 that would be better than an 8:30 min / mile pace. Since this is purely being viewed as a training run for me I am going to error on the side of pushing vs. not pushing. I will settle in the first three miles and based on how I am feeling I will make a "in game" decision.

As with anything, I may choke, I may kill it. The weather looks great and my hope is no injuries. Other than that, you probably won't hear from me until after the race.

Until then....

Tracy
www.acropolistech.com

No comments:

Post a Comment