Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The week from H.E. Double Hockey Sticks

Before I start, I want to give a shout out to my buddy Mike Montoya in New Mexico and his friends, Justen, Maria, et al that are getting ready for the inaugural IronMan St. George in addition to a fellow Tri-Smart teammate Matt P. Go get em!

This week is a build week and of itself it wouldn't be an issue however this week Rene and I have something every single night so getting it all in is going to take lunches at the lap pool (it is becoming standard) and nights running after the kids go to bed or on the trainer coupled with a 3:00 to 4:30am ride before work on Thursday. I really enjoy training but my schedule is just really tough right now and I don't see it getting any better. I have to wrap up a few things that I am working on just so I get some time to recover. I am a fairly focused person but it reaches a point where it really starts to tear me down and the ones that feel it the most is my family and I have a hard time with that. I know it is for the greater good, set an example for my impressionable kids, but even the benefits of that reach a point of diminishing returns and walking that fine line is becoming difficult. It is still manageable right now but I have started saying No and limiting my meetings. Again, I am not complaining but I realize it is still very early in the season and it is only up from here. I have to get my evenings back so that I can see my family and get all of my training in plus my work duties.... I am learning a lot about myself. If the parable is true, "The devil finds work for idle hands" I have nothing to worry about, unless of course the devil is behind triathlons (which sometimes I think he might be)

Well, it is off to a day full of meetings, quick supper with the kids, a client fund raiser (for about 30 minutes) then off to my search team meeting, home by 8:30, out the door by 9:00 running until 10:00, showered, in bed by 10:30 and up at 3:00am tomorrow morning for my 1.5 hour bike ride before being at the office at 7:00 then a swim at lunch. Wow... I don't know whether to applaud the ability to schedule or puke on my desk. I will let you know next time what I have decided. There is a good chance both might happen

I'm thankful that I still have some control over my schedule. I really feel sorry for those whose schedules are dictated to them because of finacial, health, or other major life reasons. I still have choice and for that I am truly thankful.

Tracy Butler
www.acropolistech.com

No comments:

Post a Comment