Sunday, May 9, 2010

6,574 Calories burned, Swimming, Biking, and Running - What a great weekend!

Hello All,

It has been a week since I have posted because I have been out of town for meetings earlier this week returning home to go straight to "The Great Game of Business" Conference in St. Louis.

Now to the fun. Rene picked me up at the Hyatt Friday afternoon, we drove straight to Innsbrook (a small resort lake near Wright City, Mo) where Coach Jennifer rents a Chalet for the summer which gives her access to great cycling, running and multiple beautiful lakes.

We arrived literally in time to jump out of the car, change clothes, air the tires and get on the road for an 18 mile bike ride. The ride went well but was in between speed groups so I had a fairly mediocre ride. That is okay because of the days to come but I didn't realize it at the time. Once the ride was done, we grabbed our swim gear and went to the lake for OWS swim practice (did I tell you it was 60 degrees and windy as heck?) There were two boats in the lake and we basically swam 2000 plus yards. It was great practice, we worked on drafting, beach entry, deep water start and of course, dealing with the wind and the chop of the water. We had to swim beach to beach because the wind and waves were so much across the lake the boat support couldn't control the boats... WHAT GREAT PRACTICE! Danny and I drafted and swam next to each other. Once the swim was over, we went back to the house, changes and then went for a 5.5 mile hilly run which was great. Once done, we had a great meal, did some stretching exercises, reviewed some technical data and went to bed.

The next morning we were up early and off for a 28 mile ride. It was cold. Today I jumped in with the fast group and man were they fast. We started out easy but at one point, Andrew (one of the nicest guys I have ever met) warned me that as soon as we turned the corner to be ready, we would hit speeds in the 30s. Sure enough, as soon as we turned the corner they hammered it, reviewing my data later we reached 35mph at one point and although the wind was behind us it was pretty flat. I thought they were going to go climb some monster hills, I had no interest, so I dropped back and finished in a more civilized fashion. Once back, we went for a another run and another swim. Both were brutal, it was still cold, still windy, and add some gastro problems, it was still a great day.

Rene did awesome other than falling over on her bike. I have to take it to maplewood tomorrow to get fixed in time for her tri this next weekend. We showered and headed home exhausted. Reviewing my data for the weekend, I burned 4,594 calories. I know I ate more than that.

My last comment is on how great it has been to work with Tri Smart. Jennifer and her husband Doug have been doing this now for over 5 years and the experience is invaluable. As our coach, she doesn't have to do this but for many of the beginners and veterans alike it give the rare opportunity to truly emerge yourself (if even for a little while) in triathlon. The days are full of education and friendship and regardless of where you are at or what distance you race it gives you the opportunity to learn which is what we are shooting for. You can be full of yourself or willing to learn, everyone gets something to take away.

Thanks Jennifer and Doug... I know it has to be a pain in the A$# to put on but is greatly appreciated.

I didn't get my 3 hour ride in today because there was just no way. It was mothers day so we spent the day as a family wrapping it up with the kids swimming, me cooking out and us eating in the backyard. What a nice was to end the day. My training stress score is as high as it has ever been so off today, off tomorrow and back at it on Tuesday. Besides, it looks like I will be getting my wife's bike fixed on my lunch hour tomorrow ;-)

All for now

Tracy
www.acropolistech.com

No comments:

Post a Comment