Monday, July 5, 2010

Strep Throat

Last Tuesday night I went to bed not feeling really good. I had a horrible night sleep, chills, couldn't get warm even after turning up the air and throwing on sweats. Woke the next morning feeling even worse. I couldn't remember the last time I felt that bad. Rene got me in to the doctor and she immediately sent me down for a strep test. In the 10 minutes between the test and the results I laid down in the hall in the clinic. Sure enough, the test came back as strep. I have never had strep and when they asked if I was allergic to penicillin and I have no idea, I don't remember ever taking it.

Anway, Alexander Fleming is a genius, 24 hours after starting to take the meds I started feeling better, and by Friday I was a new man.

Now, here is the downside and the impact to training. I have my 1/2 Ironman in Racine Wisconsin on the 18th. This week was supposed to be a key build week so that I peak during the week of the 18th. I had a few bricks fininshing with race pace. Of course, before I could tell my coach of my illness she sends me an email stressing how important it was that I got all of my training in exactly as it appeared on the same days...... OOOOOOPS.... I then told her I couldn't do any of it this week and her response was.."we'll deal with it". Couple that with the fear of pushing too hard to come back and having a relapse.

So, we spoke on Friday morning and I agreed to take Friday off, Saturday a swim and an hour run and if all goes well a two hour brick on Sunday consisting of a tough ride with finishing with a 10K Time Trial (as fast as I could go) finish transition into a short run. If all of this goes well and I am not too spent, next week (starting tomorrow) will be normal and per plan.

My Saturday and Sunday workouts went great and I actually felt pretty strong so business as usual. I can't change the workouts I missed so I can't worry about that for the 18th. It is what it is, I can only worry about what I can control so business as usual.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment