Saturday, August 7, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

Okay, kind of lame but today I turn 40 and I can say with certainty this is the best b-day yet. Things are going well. We are on the verge of a very big announcement at work (which I am excited about)and generally I am doing well. I can't say that I am the luckiest guy on the planet but I feel as if I am near the top.

I am getting over my strep throat, the anitbiotics are doing their job and I am feeling really good. I will be able to get all of my workouts in this week (more on that in a minute), work is great but busy busy busy but all is good.

Nathan started pee-wee football this week. He had his first practice, got his pads and had a ball. He "sacked the quarteback" in a drill that they played twice then self proclaimed he is the fasted kid on the team. I am sure he will be humbled when "biggest" kid on the team knocks him on his but. Funny how life does that to you. They all look like bobble heads in their helmets... too funny. Rene had a meeting and I texted her how much fun it looked like he was having. She responded with "will we ever see soccer again" my reply was "I am not thinking so" she was bummed.

Now, for the workouts. I can tell following my recovery and testing week my training has changed. I have never seen workouts like I have seen this week. Some are similar but just to give you some idea I had an 1:15 minute bike ride yesterday (not a big deal) but then I had an 80.... yes 80... minute swim. The longest I had ever been scheduled before was 45. I really thought it was a type-o but it wasn't. So, I did it right after work with no major issues other than soreness today. In the 1:20 minutes I was able to swim about 2.6 miles. I was pretty psyched.

Today I had a 10 mile run this morning followed by a 45 minute swim. This swim was easier not just because it was shorter, but because some of that time was drills and cool down. Actual swimming was only about 20 minutes and it was good for my sore shoulders to loosen up a bit. It was actually a pretty cool morning as the sun rose up. The first one of those in a long time.

Tomorrow I have a full day. I have a presentation at church tomorrow along with a group lunch. The kicker is that I have an 80 mile bike ride I HAVE TO get in. Again, the longest ride to date that I have had scheduled. So, my plan is, up at 3:30am, on the bike on the trainer from 4:00am to 5:30ish, then I will pull my bike off the trainer and finish my ride outside. Home at 8:00 - 8:15, shower, church, presentation, lunch, home, swim, then birthday dinner with the family, home, get ready for the week, bed..... Weekend over......

Much much much different than any other birthday that I have had maybe with the exception of my 39th. I only wish it hadn't taken me so long to realize without your health nothing else matters.... Nothing..... Again, shame on me for taking things for granted.... All I can do is work hard, lift my head every once in awhile to look around and if I don't like where I am going change direction...and smell a few roses... KGB and NBB, one day when you read this, please don't take as long as your dad has to figure out what is important... if you do it sooner, your life will be soo much better for it and you will add so much more joy to others lives if you are truly happy. You and those around you will be better for it.

Now if you would have read the above paragraph and this was my 60th birthday post you could dismiss it as confusion or delusion, I am not sure how you take it on a 40th? Enough with my 40 year old pontification....... Have a great day/weekend/week all.

More to come....

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment