Sunday, August 29, 2010

I've got a long way to go

This has been one of those days that are really frustrating. I had a 5.5 hour brick today consisting of a 4.5 hour bike ride followed by a 1 hour run. Everything went off this morning without a hitch. I was able to be on the bike by 5 am giving me plenty of time to pick up KGB after her slumber party. I rode for 1.5 hours on the trainer, when the sun came up I pulled my bike and hit the road. I probably pushed a bit on the bike but my average speed just isn't where I want it to be (17.7MPH) for the watts I am producing. Granted, speed is fairly irrelevant because many factors tie to speed (wind, hills etc...) however since this was an out and back, any wind that was in my face slowing me down on the way out was at my back on the way back so it should balance. My nutrition was pretty good, I was able to consume enough fluids and finished my bike fine. I jumped off the bike, literally jumped in the pool and back out again just to cool off for a second, threw on my shoes and on the road for the worst run I have had in a long long time. My heart rate was high, my legs were jello and I just didn't have it today. Granted, it is the end of a three week build following the most intense week I have had but still, I should have been able to have a better run.

Considering that my actual race will be over twice as long as I spent today it was a reminder of the harsh reality that this race is not easy, it is not for everyone and there is going to be a lot of pain between the starting cannon and the finish line. The good news is that I still have 83 days, 14 hours, 46 minutes and 41 seconds (at the time of writing) before said cannon. Today was a reminder that I am going to need every single minute of training if I am going to complete this thing.

Next week is a recovery week in the build 3 weeks, 1 lighter recovery week. I am hoping I am just fatigued......Time will tell.

I am not looking for sympathy, the good training days far outweigh the bad, however, when the big workouts go bad it really weighs on you. That one is over, thanks for letting me vent.. now to look forward and make the most of the time I have...

Have a great week!
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment